Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday, May 16th: Weber County

Today we started at 6:00am in the town of Layton and headed north. I am so glad I took my coat because we got to a section in the walk where the wind was pushing us over and it was cold as could be! Then as soon as we walked through that section we had a very steep climb ahead. What a challenge this was! It was beautiful! Once we arrived at Ogden we stopped at a Subway and the staff was just over the top. We stayed and visited with the staff and then some reporters came and walked with me and I shared my story with them! Once we finished with the interview we were headed towards the Ogden Expo. On the way there we saw so many sad situations, homeless people just lying on the streets. We did have the chance to share with one man who was standing at a corner where we were going to be crossing and gave him a Subway cash card so he could at least have food for the day. Once we made it to the Expo I was able to share my story with the people who were registering and checking out the booths. Then a representative for the Mayor walked about a mile and half with me and then we continued on to head towards Logan!!!

We have met some of the most incredible people! What an amazing walk this has been... I hope we have motivated and challenged a lot of people to get up and take back their lives!!!





Subway of Ogden
With Subway owner, Ina James

Subway Ogden and staff

Reporter from the paper
This man was standing on the street corner where we needed to cross the street. I gave him one of my cash cards from Subway so he could have food or the day. He was very appreciative. Thanks Subway!
As I was heading to the Ogden Expo, I saw this man just laying on the side of the sidewalk where I was walking. He had already eaten because there was a container of food almost gone right next to his face.This just breaks my heart to see these people homeless and just laying on the sidewalks.




Ogden Expo




This man stood in for the mayor and he walked with me for about 1 and a half miles. He loves his town, and we had a wonderful time sharing with each other!

2 comments:

sister said...

I am soooooo proud of you.. you even got to feed the homless.!!! This is your heart's desire. and you got to walk with all those people to!! can not wait to hear all about it.. love ya

Debra Flinn said...

Thank you sister!
It was a great experience out here in Utah and Yes, there are so many hurting people every where I walk...every where I go you see lives broken and families in need... I am packing my bags right now to head back home, I will call you in the morning and tell you all about it!!!
Love YOU too!
Debra